Sunday, August 5, 2012

Plunking the Puyallup River

Looking for some help here!

I'm in my first year of PLUNKING, and I'm getting my gear setup. I'm doing this, so I can always have a line in the water, even when I'm teaching my son to cast, etc. I can also see it being beneficial on longer fishing trips when a break is in order, and I'd still like to have a line in the water. I do understand, that plunking is not too popular on the Puyallup, and it has to be done fairly out of the way from the lines of fishermen that can form during the peak of a run....I'll stay out of the way :-)

So this is the setup I'm thinking of going with, after a couple trips to Sportco, and watching videos online. I'm freezing the tuna wraps in packs of four, so I can do most of the messy work at home.

Any tips are greatly appreciated --

Thanks, and good luck fishing this week.


9 comments:

  1. I'm looking to try this too after observing a bunch of great spots to try it at on the lower last year. I'm going to be teaching my girl how to fish this year so it might come in handy haha. Have you heard of people plunking with eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah...i read about a large spin and glow, and a cluster of eggs......i can just imagine myself replacing the eggs more than fishing, so that why i went with the quick fish.....but i'm interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The guys I saw doing it were using cheese cloths to keep them on there, but they weren't using the spin and glo with it. I'll probably end up trying both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that makes good sense....I'll probably give that a try for the silvers
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. Is the canned tuna in water or oil? I drove by the river today and it looks pretty fast, so plunkin will take alot of weight I think. I would go oil tuna personally, but whichever way, let us know how you do and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm using oil. I'll probably give it arty here this weekend. I'll let ya know how it goes

      Delete
  6. I've seen guys plunking under the 5th St bridge before, might be worth a try. Good Luck to All!

    ReplyDelete
  7. instead of thread i like to use a rubber band wrapped around a couple times to hold it on, haven't tried tuna yet but a small fillet of hearing has worked for me in the sound havent tried it in the river yet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea.....the string can get a little messy sometimes...
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete