Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Next trip

Well, that was fun, but now I need to catch a fish. I'm learning a lot. This Saturday I'm timing it as the tide's coming in, so I'll be on the river from 3-5:30 pm. At least now, I feel pretty confident I'm fishing correctly, and at the correct time as far as hydro and weather are concerned. Now I just need to find fish.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Saturday At Sunrise

Going saturday morning at sunrise....everything is lining up perfectly.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Not happenin'

The water shot straight up all day yesterday....besides, Monday Night Football was on. It looks like I'll be waiting till this weekend to go.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

I think Monday night is a go!

It looks like the puyallup should be cresting monday afternoon, so I'm planning on a fishing trip monday night. Yes...the river will be colored & somewhat blown out, but I'm trying to follow the system laid out in the book. I'll be probing the river in one-three foot interval depending on water clarity. This is what the graph looks like right now.

Sunday, September 12, 2010


I think I might have figured something out. I think my presentation was too large for the water I was fishing. The water was much clearer than I've ever fished on the Puyallup before. I typically use the double hook setup, with yarn on the bottom hook setup, with a size ten corkie. If I'd have used a one hook setup, with barely any yarn,  and still went with the size ten corkie, I think I might have hooked into something.
Probably a two foot leader being as a high pressure system drive fish down to deeper water.

I think the reason I didn't see any fish was because they were down towards the bottom.....i think.....well, I'm gonna figure this out at one point.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Skunked again

Skunked again this morning. As far as I can tell, all conditions were perfect. I'm not sure why, but I didn't see one sign of a fish in about three hours. I'm pretty encouraged though. My new spot worked out perfect. Not a blessed soul within three-hundred yards. Now I need to find out how to tell when fish will be on that particular stretch of river.....I'm working on it.

Water was emerald green, barometer at 30.(something) and rising, no wind, & sunny at times.

Monday, September 6, 2010

River Recon

So....I found my new spot. I think everything is lining up for a successful next fishing trip. It's a little hard to get to, but I know it's going to be worth it. This way, I can show up when the fish are telling me to show up, & not worry about them already being put off the bite by pressure.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Well...It didn't quite work out.

I guess there's a reason I labeled myself the ignorant fisherman. I arrived at the Puyallup at 116th st. at 6:20 am & was fishing by 6:30 thinking that this was the perfect time for the water to be peaking & falling.....well, after fishing for three hours, seeing fish jump all over the place, & wondering why they weren't biting, I got home & started researching. It looks like between 6:00 am & 10:00 am the water was going straight up, putting the fish off the bite. 
So here's my plan. It looks to me like the ultimate time for the fish to go on the bite, is more like around 10:30 am into the afternoon. Sounds simple - but here's my dilemma. If i were to go to most locations on the Puyallup (when there are fish in the river) the water has been pounded by fifty fishermen, which means the fish probably won't bite anything. When I left around 9:30, the crowd had already started showing up.   
Solution: Tomorrow, I'm going to do a little river re-con. I know of a place near where I was fishing that I'd really like to fish, but as of yet I haven't figured out exactly how to get there (in a safe manner). I'm hoping tomorrow, I'm able to find a way, so that I can get to this "secret hold" around ten & not be worried about seeing 20 other guys there. If it's this hard to get to, most people won't put in the effort.

Anyway, my brother did snag a silver, & had to land it in order to release it. I got the juices flowing for about 30 seconds! Enough to get me planning my next trip. Here's the video of when we figured out it was snagged, and the next video is the release. 

video video

Friday, September 3, 2010

Going Saturday Morning

So these are the conditons for saturday morning, as of friday night
Barometer 29.99 in an rising
Wind 2-3 mph
Chance of showers

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Leaders

So...this is how my setup looks for this weekend.  I think I'll be going Saturday morning if everything lines up right.